Summarize your understanding of union membership today in the US. What is the current status of union membership? Share some statistics and trends. Did you ever belong to a labor union? If you did, do you think union membership benefited you? If you did not, do you think a union would have benefited you? Why or why not?
Use the articles and resources provided to support your ideas.
Chapter 11: Working with Labor Unions, Most HRM professionals will work with unions. The unionization process, how to negotiate union contracts, and history of labor unions are discussed.
Chapter 12: Safety and Health at Work, Employee safety and health are necessary to a productive workplace. This chapter addresses some of the health and safety issues, such as drug use, carpal tunnel, and other issues relating to keeping employees healthy at work.
Recommended: Chapter 13: Successful Employee Communication focuses on HR-related communication, and management styles. Communication is a key component to any and all aspects of HRM. While some of the information may be covered in other classes such as HRM 302, begin to develop your understanding of HR-related communication.
READINGS BEYOND THE TEXT
- Compa (2014) Collective Bargaining in the United States
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (2020). Union Members Summary Retrieved from: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm
- Silverman (nd). “How Labor Unions Work” (HTML) Retrieved from: http://money.howstuffworks.com/labor-union.htm (7 page article on labor unions)
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s “Overview of the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission” (HTML) Retrieved from: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/index.cfm (U.S. EEOC government Web site)
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s “Laws Enforced by the EEOC” (HTML) Retrieved from: http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/index.cfm (EEOC Web site)
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s “Types of Discrimination” Retrieved from http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/index.cfm (EEOC Web site)
- View this YouTube on the History of Unions History of Unions
- Lumen Learning (nd). Understanding Communication Retrieved from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/principlesmanagement/chapter/12-2-understanding-communication
- Lumen Learning (nd). Work Behaviors Retrieved from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/principlesmanagement/chapter/2-6-work-behaviors/
- Wilkie (2018). Young Workers Suffer from Mental Health Issues
- Folz (2018). What to say when Investigating Sexual Harassment Claims
- Wilkie (2018). Just Because Your Workers Feel Loyal Doesn’t Mean They’ll Stay
- Wilkie (2018). Top 10 Ways People Get Revenge at Work
- Heathfield (2018) Progressive Discipline in the Workplace
- Heathfield (2018) How to Deal with a Bully at Work
- Heathfield (2018) Workplace Conflict Resolution