HR Management test questions
1. Describe the employment-at-will doctrine. – This is a common-law doctrine stating that employers have the right to hire, fire, demote, or promote whomever they choose, unless there is a law or a contract to the contrary.
2. List four major laws enacted since 1960 that directly impact the Human Resources function. Briefly describe each.
– Family and Medical Leave Act – Allows eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks of leave for their serious health conditions or the birth or adoption of a child. . Injured employees may ask to use that leave time in addition to the leave time allowed under worker’ comp, even if it is unpaid.
– Americans with Disabilities Act – Prohibits discrimination based on disability
– Occupational Safety and Health Act – passed “to assure so far as possible every working man woman in the nation safe and healthful working conditions and preserve our human resources.”
– Equal Pay Act of 1963 – Tries to depress sex discrimination as related to pay and commerce in the workplace.
3. Explain how a firm’s human resources influence organizational performance. –
4. Describe how firms can use HR initiatives to cope with workplaces changes and trends such as a more diverse workforce, the global economy, downsizing, and new legislation.