For this assignment, consider the organization where you currently work or an organization where you may have worked in the past as a point of reference for evaluating the coaching model and team-based performance.
Note: You may create or make all the necessary assumptions needed for the completion of these assignments. In your original work, you may use aspects of existing processes from either your current or a former place of employment. However, you must remove any and all identifying information that would enable someone to discern the organizations that you have used.
Write a 5–7 page paper in which you:
- Classify the selected organization’s approach to coaching as it relates to one of the following: Ad Hoc Coaching, Managing Coaching, Proactive Coaching, or Strategic Coaching. Judge the extent to which the identified coaching model has worked to optimize the organization’s performance management activities.
- Recommend three practices to improve the selected organization’s current performance from Table 4.3: Best Practices for Manager-Coaches in the textbook. Justify each element as it relates to optimizing performance.
- Construct five best practices that would maximize team-based performance in the selected organization. Specify the primary manner in which each practice aligns with the organization’s overall goals and vision.
- Use three external sources to support your responses. Note: Wikipedia and other websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Best Practices for Manager-Coaches.
1. Coaching relationship- Take time to explore what is important to the person you are coaching—his or her goals, values, and motivations. Communicate your desire to help the person develop and ask what kind of coaching he or she would like from you. Communicate the positive expectation that you believe in the person and his or her ability to learn and make significant progress on objectives.
2. Insight- Clearly communicate expectations and success factors. Provide feedback and discuss performance relative to those expectations. Ask questions that help people reflect on their own behaviors, performance, and impact. 3. Motivation Help people clarify their goals and motivations related to work and to their own development. Identify specific personal and organizational benefits for development.
4. Capabilities- Provide specific advice and guidance on how to improve performance and behavior. Encourage them to prepare development plans. Support training, stretch assignments, and provide opportunities for on-the-job learning.
5. Real-world practice- Ask people what exactly they will to do to make progress on their development objectives, and where and when they plan to do it. Help them find or create opportunities that stretch their capabilities.
6. Accountability- Hold regular (for example, monthly) conversations to gauge progress against development objectives. Ask people what they have learned recently and what they will do in the next month to continue learning.
7. Organizational context-Ask people what organizational barriers are getting in their way and brainstorm ways they can work around them. Be a role model of learning by seeking feedback and coaching from others, sharing development priorities and progress openly, and talking about why development is important to you personally.