At the turn of the 20th century, Georges Rouault’s art underwent profound change as a result of a shift in his moral and religious outlook.
In Chapter 5 of your text:
- Read “Religious Art for a Modern Age: Georges Rouault,” pages 100–101.
- View Rouault’s Jesus Reviled, above, and in Figure 5.17 on page 101.
Please respond to the following in a post of 150 to 200 words:
- Describe your reaction to Jesus Reviled in light of Rouault’s profound interaction with the culture of his time. In your response be sure to consider:
- How do an artist’s religious or moral beliefs affect the art he or she produces?
- How do your religious or moral beliefs affect the way you see Rouault’s Jesus Reviled?